@ 2012 Romel's Roost. Powered by Blogger.

"A work of art is above all an adventure of the mind."

~ Eugene Ionesco ~

"Wings for Kids"

It was an unusually cool Saturday morning, trying to sleep in, but as I checked my phone as I usually do before getting up, saw this FB status from a friend, who was at an RC air show.  And I remembered that today is the day of the annual remote control planes air show, "Wings for Kids" at the Steve Henry Airfield in E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park, only about ten (10) minutes drive from my place.  Since I moved in the area three years ago, I oftentimes see the sign of this event but didn't have the chance to see it.  Nothing has been planned for the day, so I decided to call the park and asked for the details, luckily the show lasts until 5pm, which gave me enough time to fix myself up and head out.  Though it was quite cloudy and cool, thought it was still a perfect day to spend at the park.  Only $3 per person to get in and $10 for a car load, not bad!  I was really surprised to see the RC planes which were lined up, some were bigger than me!  There were different helicopter models too, when they're up in the air, they just looked like the real ones!  Amazing!  And I remembered what my brother had told me, my nephew JB, who is only about nine (9) years old, wants to become a pilot someday, which inspires me to take more photos and later on write a blog.  How I wished he was there with me to see it!  

I was pretty impressed with the exhibition, the planes took off and flew up in the air fast, the pilots did some maneuvers too which really excites the crowd, and when they land, just perfectly smooth.  Most pilots were from other states, like Ohio and Missouri, but there were some local pilots who showed their skills, who were as competitive as well.  The best part that I enjoyed the most was what they called the "American Warbirds from World War II" demonstration, wherein there were nine (9) model planes that were reproduction of World War II military aircraft up in the air simultaneously!  The pilots also handed some picture cards with their signature, to the delight of the kids.   There was also a game called candy drop, wherein the kids, ages eight (8) and below have the chance to get in close to the runway!  Parents were allowed to go with the kids but not to pick up the candies for them.  Some model planes with a special compartment in their fuselage would drop the candy  while airborne.  That was fun to watch!  Kosair Children's Hospital hero or mascot was there to guide them too.  Another game for both kids and the adults, called the egg drop, the one to catch the egg from the air, be able to keep it intact will get a cash prize, I think nobody won!  As I looked around, there were other activities that the kids could enjoy,  like the inflatable bounce house, face painting and flight simulation!  The kids went home with happy faces...

The event is not just merely about the RC Planes enthusiasts, but it served a good cause, raising funds to benefit the kids at Kosair Children's Hospital.






























Check out also the video that I took from my cellphone, click link below...
http://youtu.be/Hwrr25w6w_w

0 comments:

Post a Comment